Helps Counselors Keep Track of Children in Need
Lighthouse's counselor contact function is an ideal system to help guidance counselors keep track of the children they guide on a day-to-day basis. Not only is it useful for recording notes on frequent visitors to the guidance office, it is also an indispensable tool for keeping track of application deadlines and other matters that concern counselors on a daily basis.
How does it work?
First you define some of the more common reasons why pupils seek counseling and the outcomes that help to address those situations. When a child comes to the guidance office, a counselor can specifies the reason for the session, what outcome was achieved and may include anecdotal comments he might deem appropriate. Specifically, Lighthouse tracks each counselor contact with the following data elements:
- Date of contact
- Time of contact
- Teacher involved (if there is one)
- Location of contact (useful for non-office sessions)
- Contact reason
- Outcome achieved
- Date of outcome (useful for "future resolution" items)
- Follow-up date (as necessary)
In addition to the data elements above, each incident report may be accompanied by an anecdotal comment of unlimited length. For counselors, this anecdotal comment is an excellent way to preserve their impressions of a session and helps them to "pick up the thread" when preparing for the student's next session.
It is not required that you enter data in all of the "contact report" fields. You need only use those that are appropriate for your purposes.
Features of the Counselor Contact Function Include:
- Tracks counselor contacts by date, time, teacher, counselor, location, contact reason, outcome achieved, outcome date and follow-up date
- Accepts an anecdotal comment of unlimited length for each contact report
- Accepts an unlimited number of counselor contacts over the course of a school year
- Maintains "history data" for contacts in prior school years (initiated at year-end rollover)
- Supports an unlimited number of user-defined contact reason descriptors
- Utilizes an unlimited number of user-defined outcome descriptors
- Displays and prints a cumulative counselor contact history for any student during the current school year
- Allows counseling records to be viewed or edited at any time
- Prints a list of contacts for any particular day or for a range of days in the school year
- Supports a point system based on contact outcomes - useful for tracking "units of service"
- Permits a follow-up date for any contact - when follow-up dates are utilized, an administrator can pull up a list of all the students who need to be seen for a followup on a particular day or days. The follow-up function is useful in tracking students' deadlines for college applications or scholarship deadlines.
- Provides a separate "outcome date" if the user so specifies - this is helpful when contact outcomes (such as a family meeting) might not occur at the same time as the actual counseling session
- Prints analyses of contact reasons and outcomes by teacher, administrator, reason/outcome, race, class, gender, race/gender and location
- Computes outcome distribution by contact reason and vice versa to demonstrate the consistency of how your school applies its counseling practices