Master scheduling made better!
In 1981 there was no such thing as a master-scheduling program for a microcomputer. The Classifier started a revolution that forever changed the way schools schedule their students.
For the past twenty-three years, the keepers of this flame have lovingly crafted The Classifier family of master scheduling software through over fifteen generations of development. Now we are pleased to present the latest in this fine line of software - The Classifier.
The newest edition of this time-tested application offers the solid reliability schools expect from Surfside. The Classifier unparalleled ease-of-use plus many new features make this the very best, most powerful edition of The Classifier ever.
It Really Generates a Master Schedule!
First of all, let's say this right up front - The Classifier generates a master schedule.
Now let's say it a different way. Classifier doesn't "help" you build a master schedule. It doesn't prepare statistics to tell you about optimal periods at which to place courses. It doesn't make you place courses on a grid and then see the effect of your action. It doesn't require you to pay extra to generate a master schedule. It doesn't promise you master schedule generation in the future.
Okay... let's say it again - in bold, italic type this time The Classifier generates a master schedule.
Our master scheduling software has always generated a master schedule. From the 1981 edition of The Classifier running on a Commodore PET, to TRS-80 and Apple II versions of Classifier and Classifier II, to every single edition of our venerable Surfside Solution family of products - every scheduler we have ever published generates a master schedule.
Don't be mislead by other companies' half-baked attempts at scheduling. We publish the best master scheduling software in the industry. Always have! Always will!
Master Schedule Function
Classifier provides powerful master schedule generation features in a distinctly intuitive setting.
- Virtually unlimited number of cycles (days of the week), blocks (semesters) and periods in the day
- A "build management" system that allows you to try out changes to your constraints and student requests without changing the "live" schedule.
- Course constraint capability that allows you to restrict a course to meet at a particular period or block if it absolutely must meet in that slot
- Up to ten levels of schedule priority for each course - so that "Subterranean Beekeeping" does not create a conflict that keeps a student from taking "AP Chemistry"
- Courses may meet over multiple periods, if necessary
- Courses may be linked together and moved by the master scheduler as a unit (i.e. "Chemistry" and "Chem. Lab")
- "Slider controls" are available to give you complete control over how much consideration the schedule generator gives to certain characteristics of the schedule as the master schedule is cast. For example, you could tell the schedule engine to pay more attention to balancing the number of sections at each period than to balancing each section by gender or year of graduation.
- Blocks, cycles and periods can all be named by the user
- Teacher and room constraints are automatically considered as the master schedule is cast.
Schedule Reports and General Features
Classifier offers extensive reporting and very easy-to-use student and course management.
- Classifier provides fully interactive class rosters, conflict matrix, master schedule and period usage screens.
- It prints student schedules (Have you seen a school scheduler that doesn't?)
- It prints class rosters (Again, do you know of a program that doesn't print rosters?)
- Classifier publishes student locator reports, teacher lists, room lists, teacher locator reports and room usage reports
- The scheduler produces routine "housekeeping" reports such as student lists, lists of students with insufficient courses requests, students with incomplete schedules, master schedule, master course list and period usage reports.
- Classifier locates a student quickly with the "where is" function
- It provides interactive teacher and room lists with "quick roster" views
- The centralized course and student screen provides seamless access to all elements of your student data
- The program offers user customization of all reports, including font, colors and wording
- It maintains a log of all user actions and provides a history of these actions that may be viewed at any time
Student Data Management
Classifier includes an excellent student database component. Database features include:
- Maintains a student database with a virtually-unlimited number of user-defined fields
- Includes utilities to purge groups of students and to globally increment students to their next class level
- Provides a powerful Query tool to search student data
- Query results may be exported to other applications in XML and text formats
- Queries may be saved and retrieved for later use
- Sorts and filters student lists
- Offers complete password security for all parts of the program
- Imports data from all versions of Surfside Solution and Administrator's PowerPack
Free Trial Version
A free, thirty-day trial version of Classifier is available for download. If you prefer, you may contact us to have a CD mailed to your school address.